I love finding images that speak to me without understanding why yet. I also love to paint from images not necessarily to emulate them but to learn the nuances of shading, shapes, etc…I had such a good time creating the page that I thought I would share the steps…
Art Journal exercise using an image that “magnetizes” you
1) Take a moment to relax and be still. You can do this meditation or just turn on some quiet music. Open yourself to more than just this world of form and sound….tis the portal of inspiration…at least for me.
2) Then find an image…face, form, whatever…something that draws you in.
3) Cover a 10 by 10 piece of watercolor paper with fiber paste and crackle….also add some stencil designs with modge podge as it resists paint and adds to the buffet of texture…These days texture is my “food” of choice.
4) Let it dry..Paint over it with watered down inks and watered down acrylics…using your hues of choice. For this one, I used blues and greens.
5) After that layer dries, use a credit card to scrape over a contrasting hue….this one was painted with “Golden” Indian Yellow hue.
6) Sketch out your own abstract or detailed version of the image onto the painted page, using the elements you like the most. Then paint the face (or image) using the shadows and light in the image as a guide. I like to paint the shadows first and then add in the lighter hues for the highlights.
7) Paint one more hue around the face or your image…one that will make the colors of the image pop. I picked white to make the blue of the face and the orange hair (or headdress??) pop.
8) After it’s painted, sit in silence with the image and listen for what it says to you….what message is there for you. Begin to free write on and around the image…scrawling if you’d like to keep the words private.
9) Then sit with it once more and pick one word that captures the image. Stamp the word onto some painted paper or find your letters in a magazine. I have been using old journal pages and cutting out their backgrounds to add elements like the necklace and the letters…
Painting from “magnetic” images that draw you is a way to open a dialogue with yourself and the “beyond” as well as a way to learn how to draw better by understanding the nuances of shading, light, shapes, dimensions, angles, etc…Hope you’ll treat yourself to some creative soul time….have a beautiful Saturday!